2017

2017

Monday, 10 November 2014

Dear Diary: A year in passing

It's 8am in the morning, and I'm sitting in school writing this. It's my birthday today.

Over the years, the birthday celebrations have become increasingly contrived and somewhat of a hackneyed routine, so much so that it has lost a regrettably large part of its former novelty. Each year I look back, and am often greeted by the many absurd mistakes I've made throughout the year. But this year's a little different.

This year was actually okay. 

I think I grew up quite a bit, in terms of dealing with changes. Losing someone who was so dear to me had left a considerable blow, but I realise everybody moves on. New goals, new priorities, new views as one approaches life. And when God closes some doors, He opens others. 

Thankful for the people I've met in the past year, people who have challenged me to adopting a different philosophy on life, engaged me on so many different levels and even people who have reappeared in my life oddly enough. A friend once told me my propensity for melancholia betrays some degree of immaturity. I don't disagree, but it's never easy to give up something one has held on to for so long.

This morning I just feel so thankful to be alive, to have a school to actually go to, to have friends who remember to let me know that they're around for me. It hasn't been an easy year at all... in fact it might have been one of the toughest in terms of the uncertainty it held, but I'm actually proud of myself for gritting my teeth and smiling a whole lot more (yes I do realise one cannot appropriate both actions concurrently -I'm a living contradiction like that).

If I had a wish, I'd wish never to forget the good things. Holding on to them like twinkling gems, formed into a delicate chain that rests just above my heart.

x














4 comments:

  1. Happy belated birthday! And I love your writing!! :) all the best in NUS btw, and seriously CAP doesn't matter hahahaha none of my previous employers asked me about my CAP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and apologies for the tardy reply! Am glad you enjoy reading. x

      Delete

Search This Blog